Skip to main content

Sisters!! Stop Sizing Each Other Up!!

Written By: Jamilah-Asali I. Lemieux for Essence.com



Recently, I was walking through a mall with one of my good girlfriends and I couldn't help but notice the number of women checking us out. Not in a flirtatious way; they were appraising us. You know what I'm talking about, ladies: studying another woman's hair, face, clothes and shoes with judgment written all over your face. This is something I've caught sisters doing for years -- and something I've made a point not to do myself -- and it drives me up the wall. 

I don't like being stared at by people of any gender. But it's one thing for a woman to check you out and then offer a sisterly smile or compliment, and another one for her to end her review with an eye roll or whisper to her companion. With the latter, it may be that she thinks you're fly and she's... I hate this word, but it's appropriate sometimes... hating. Or maybe she really does think your outfit sucks and your hair needs work. Worse, even: she may be dubbing you with the "she thinks she's cute" stamp.

Side note: I would like to end all usage of the term "she thinks she's cute." Why? Because she (and you, and me) SHOULD think that she is cute! And so should you and so should I! We have enough forces out here assaulting our self-esteem and trying to make us feel low... so when you see a woman who seems confident about who she is, you should admire that attitude instead of wanting to tear it down. 

Famed actress Angie Dickinson once quipped, "I dress for women; I undress for men." I've always thought that was a clever quote. However, I dress for Jamilah and I always have. Truth be told, if I've ever taken either gender's thoughts into consideration about my clothes, it would again be men (and not in a "Men like ____, so I should wear them" kind of way, but simply choosing pieces that cut an attractive silhouette and flaunt my assets). I've never gone to the club wanting to be in the Shoe Olympics with a bunch of other women, never thought about picking out a dress that would "kill" the other girls.

Some women do think of shopping and dressing as a competitive sport; more power to them. I'm only interested in competing with myself. Do I feel pretty, sexy or fly? Then my mission has been accomplished. And if I'm just going to Target, while I won't look like a total bum (you'll only catch me doing that en route to the corner store), I don't want to feel like other women are out here judging me in some sort of pageant I didn't sign up for.

As I mentioned earlier, I do understand that a lot of the ill treatment comes from other sisters who do think you look good. That sucks. So long as you live, you will share the Earth with other beautiful women. Some of them will make you feel like you pale in comparison (which they shouldn't, but you're human and we all fall short of the self-loving glory). The last thing any woman should want to do is make someone else feel bad because of her own insecurities. There is enough shine to go around!

If you see something you admire or like about another woman -- perhaps a funky hairstyle or a stunning dress -- consider telling her so instead of staring. She may be feeling down herself and that compliment might make her day! And if you notice a sister wearing something that doesn't tickle your fancy, at least have the good manners to keep your judgment off of your face! She didn't ask for your approval and you may be surprised to learn that your style may not get her vote of confidence either. There's enough poison out here to make women feel just awful about themselves... no need to add more to the pot. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Living Color is BACK!!

To celebrate their 25th Anniversary, Fox is bringing back one of it's MOST successful shows. .none other than everybody and their mama's favorite "In Living Color"!! Keenan Ivory Wayans will produce 2 half hour specials this seasons.  If the specials are a hit (i.e. ratings) the actual show will RETURN next year as apart of the Fox 2012 Fall Line Up.  Wayans has yet to say if any of our favorite's Jim Carrey "Fire Marshall Bill", Jamie Foxx "Wanda", or the clown we could never get enough of "Homie" Damon Wayans will make any cameos.  It has been stated that their will be a BRAND NEW cast for the new season. .So you know what that means? Maybe the Sexy NEXT generation of Wayans will be taking the reign's. .Damon Jr. .Damian. .Hmm. .Either way. .We are READY!! We will keep you posted on when the specials will air. .So we can get the ratings they need. .So we can have one of our FAVorites back

9 Types of Sex Every Woman SHOULD Have

There are a million different ways to twist the sheets. Just check the Kama Sutra, but no one can try them all. That said, there are a few types of sex every woman should experience at least once. Ladies, LISTEN UP, because if you haven’t done the deed these nine ways, you’re totally missing out!! I’m Sorry Sex* Otherwise known as make up sex. It’s what happens when that thin line between anger and passion is crossed and the result is most often spontaneous and mind blowing. Vacation Sex* It’s not for everyone, but we’re here to tell you, sex in paradise with a gorgeous man you just met can often be the most thrilling kind. (As long as it’s safe sex, of course.) He’s mysterious and gorgeous and he makes you feel sexy – a recipe for vacation bliss. We Might Get Caught Sex* You know that moment when the sparks are flying between you but you just can’t sneak away. Toss those inhibitions and do it anyway. Go find your own little corner of heaven and steal a moment all your own.

Today In Black

1864* Rachel Boone was a slave of the decendents of the Daniel Boone family who escaped to an army camp near Miami, MO. She gave birth to a son & moved to Warrensburg, MO. Her son became "Blind" Boone, famous classical pianist known all over the U.S., Canada & Mexico who also reportedly played in Europe. He became known as the "pioneer of ragtime" because he brought in ragtime music to the concert stage as an encore or when the audience became restless, saying "Let's put the cookies on the bottom shelf where everybody can reach them.". His motto was "Merit, not sympathy, wins." 1875* The first Kentucky Derby is won by African American jockey Oliver Lewis riding the horse Aristides. 14 of the 15 jockeys in the race are African Americans. 1909* White firemen on Georgia Railroad struck to protest employment of Blacks. 1915* National Baptist Convention chartered. 1954* U.S. Supreme Court in landmark Brown v. Board of Educa